The reality of having older children has hit me like a ton of bricks today. There are subtle things that have occured recently that make me more conscience of the fact that I do have 4 children and how amazing people they are.
Recently, Alex has had a certain girl ( not the one I previously mentioned) want to know if " he likes her. like date like her." Alex being the naive boy he is said, " yeah I like you." As in meaning friendship like. He has not mentioned anything to her about being boyfriend/girlfriend. He has kind of ignored the subject. That's Alex for ya. The girl, Carissa told Billy to tell Alex that she may be getting back together with her old boyfriend to make Alex jealous of course. Alex does not care. I am trying to not interfer as I think that would be unwise, but alex is clueless. So, yesterday Alex comes home and says, " I am going to go to Brianna's this weekend ok?" I said with a smile, " Does Carissa know?" He said, "No. Why?"
Another reality check occured today while I had Alex at the orthodontist. He will need substantial oral surgery, orthodontics, and dental care to keep his teeth from becoming a huge massive mess. I am grateful that we will have good coverage starting April, but I know that there will be monthly payments. All this is overwhelming and is going to need to be discussed in length by David & I.
The point is that I knew these things would arise when we first got married. This is all what comes with having kids. You get to deal with hormones, boy & girl relationships, braces, etc...I am not naive enough to think that there will not be bigger issues in the future. At one point I was concerned with getting the kids to soccer, washing their hands & face, cleaning up vomit, and teaching them ABC's. Now it is a whole new game and it is proving to be costly in some ways. These are the moments I thought would never be. These are the moments that I looked forward to as a young mother. I am embracing each new experience and hope that I can emotionally & financially afford it. The best is yet to be.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Good to be clueless, then your heart does not get broken!
Oh...tears run down my cheek. I am so glad I have learned to appreciate mothering today and love yesterdays memories and hope for a bright and happy furture for tomorrow for my children. I can only imagine that my children will all be teenagers before too soon and then I have to sit back and hope I have done them well. Aaah...here's to a fabulous today and a wonderful tomorrow!
Post a Comment