CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Leven Thumps




After waiting for 2 weeks November 6th finally arrived. Ben was so excited I thought he was going to puke! Zach felt guilt. Gabby was along for the ride.

The Big Event was at 6: 00 pm at Deseret Bookstore at the Pine Ridge Mall.

We were going to meet Obert Skye. Obert Skye is the author of the Leven Thumps books.

Alex and Ben have been fans since Grandma Sandy and Aunt Mindy bought them the first few books years ago. Ben has always been a boy who has had a hard time reading a book from beginning to end. He found instant satisfaction in reading Obert Skye's books.

So, we left the house at 445 pm to be sure to get a good spot in line with all our Leven Thumps books in tow. We arrived in plenty of time and enjoyed talking to others while waiting to meet this author. I really think it is important to have kids meet authors whether they are well known or not. I am going to make a note of the importance of this for future reference.

Alex was unable to be with us on this trip to the mall because he was at his last marching band competition in St. George, UT. He was green with envy that we were going to meet Obert Skye. Zach felt guilt because he had tried to read the Leven Thumps books, but was having a hard to "getting into" them.

At 6 pm out he comes with his publicist. He was cheerful, tall, and grateful. This was the first time I had met an author so, it was exciting. When it was our turn he shook our hands. We asked him questions. Mine was in reference to his name Obert Skye. He was not quick to disclose that was his real name or not. I believe it is his Pen name. I googled it. Mr. Skye loaded us with bookmarks, signed, posters, and pencils. I took some pics with my phone. He was very appreciative that we came. He told Ben that he is working on a new book where the main character in it's name is Ben. He told my Ben to tell his friends that he named this character in his book after him. Ben loved that.

What a memorable evening. The kids did not want to leave. We hope he comes back soon.

I think I will recommend to Bethany that we should read the Leven Thumps books for adult book club. They are not just books for kids. I am gonna give it a try.



2 comments:

Heidi

never heard of him, what a fun day.
Gloria had a teen author come to the high school while we were there. I'll have to aske her who it was.
So glad Ben has a new character coming out!

now get to those bathrooms. Makes you feel so good!

Mindy

That is SO cool! I am glad they liked them so much. I also gave Dallin & Hunter a copy at one time. What a neat event. Good for you Marcy.

Post a Comment