Don't get me wrong I love my mom's side of the family..over the years I have found myself reconnecting with a wonderful aunt & uncle and cousins. I knew I only had to spend about 3 hrs of my life once a year at Grandma Ross' house so it was alright. Just a bit uncomfortable & dysfunctional at times.
Christmas morning's as a child is a blur to me today. It was probable the typical stocking treats and goodies and unwrapping a special gift from Santa. I know my parents were never excessive in gift giving. However, one happy holiday memory sticks out. My father every year since I can remember would hang beautiful lights on our small 3 bedroom house on Florida Street around the beginning of December. The colors were a brilliant red, green, blue, & yellow. I knew they must have taken a great amount of time to attach each bulb just right so they would not fall off. The Christmas lights on my childhood home was a wonderful gift my father gave to me as a child. On one particularly warmer then usual winter night my sister and I were invited by neighborhood friends to play a game of hide and seek. We chased one another all around the designated yards for what seemed to be hours. With all the Christmas lights aglow along the street, it was MAGICAL! The lights twinkled around us as we ran from house to house yelling and giggling. Then the dreadful call from mothers came and it was time for bed.
Christmas Day was spent at Grandma & Grandpa Peterson's house. We would load the old VW with our dishes to share and gifts for grandparents & extended family. Arriving at my Grandparents on Christmas was exciting. I knew there would be plenty of gifts, great food, and a cousin I could play with...... to be continued.
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Hide and seek among the Christmas lights sounds perfect! Hope you all had a good Christmas!
Sounds like very pleasant memories.
Post a Comment