There is one possession I love. I love my 1984(?) Convertible VW Cabriolet. I bought it back from a guy we sold it to years prior for David for an anniversary gift for him several years ago. David was sad to see the car go in the first place, but we had need for the $ at the time. This was a car that David had loved and wanted since he was in high school. He was happy to have it back as well as I.
When the car made it's place in the driveway the kids were all excited. We decided to go for a drive. So, we started that little car up and to our shock it sounded like the loudest lawn mower ever. When David and I were first married we bought a lawn mower from Wal-mart. It was a Murray brand. And to this day, thanks to Ben it runs fantastic. The kids and I recognized the sound from the VW exhaust as the same sound from the antique lawn mower, Murray. Therefore, we named our new (old) car Murray.
Now Murray needed some work. So, we had a new roof put on , new brakes, exhaust repairs, and new seat covers. Murray ran like a charm and no longer sounded like a lawn mower. I would putt putt around in Murray taking the kids to soccer, grocery shopping ( that was interesting b/c Murray does not have a "real" trunk, and David and I would enjoy what we called going "topless" up to Scout mtn. Good memories.
Well, last night I thought it would be a good idea to take Murray out for one more trip this winter. Alex needed to be picked up at Poky High from a pep band function. I left the house and failed to listen to that little soft voice "Take the truck!" Wish I had because after 1.5 miles Murray decided he was done. I think Murray was done because it was 8 degrees outside and I did not allow him to warm up properly. So, I carefully pulled off to the side of the road and called my friend Heather because David is in UT. She would send her husband Tori right away. What seemed like an eternity, he finally showed up. I was getting worried that I would freeze to death before he came considering I was wearing shorts. Don't ask. We promptly picked up Alex from Poky and drove back to heathers house to get a rope for towing. Got the rope. Headed back down the road. Then Tori decided he would educate Alex on the matters of how to hook up a car to tow. 20 minutes later Alex & I were home. We made hot chocolate and sat by the fire to thaw our fingers.
This morning all the kids asked "Why is Murray in the street?" I said, "It is a long story!"
I am sad that Murray is not running right now. He has always been reliable. I hope this is a small repair like...out of gas, but I don't think so. So, we will pray for a Christmas miracle that we can get Murray running soon. This experience was just another memory we will add to our list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Oh, that is sad! Here's to that Christmas miracle! I love your background by the way!!!
GREAT NEWS! A few years ago murrays fuel gage broke. So we always figured that at 300 miles it was time to fuel up. I was at 167 miles when murray died. NO way was I out of fuel. David came home from UT put 2 gallons of gas in and it started and ran. However, there is a major oil leak. That's a VW for ya though. So, Murray is hibernating for the winter.
Post a Comment