CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tribute


Yesterday I took Alex to his 1st marching band competition at Holt arena. Students from ID & UT gathered to compete in their own divisions. By the way Poky took 3rd. Good, but they hoped for better. Anyway, as we all returned to our homes safe & secure a nightmare for any parent, student, teacher, or loved one played out on I-15 10 miles south of Pocatello. The American Fork Marching band who took 1st in their division crashed one of 4 of their buses. A woodwind instructor died trying to save the bus from a fatality by grabbing the wheel after the driver passed out from medical complications and veered of the road. It is a tragedy. I could not help but shed tears this morning as I realized the tremendous loss this high school faces. With many injured, but alive students the thought that they may be unable to compete in another competition this season is real. Practices are intense and require early mornings for months. There is just not a way for someone to "fill in." This may have been their first and last competition. We will hope for the best for them.

As Alex boards a bus on the 20th and then again on the 24th of October to attend competitions in UT, my heart will be full of prayers.

4 comments:

Bethany

That is so unfortunate. We are glad that Alex is safe. Good reminder that we can lose our loved ones at any time, and to let them know we love them constantly.

Where in Utah are his band competitions?

Dixon Devils

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8275399 This is the story of the teacher. The report seems to be that had she not taken the wheel, there would have been more fatalities and injuries. Ultimate sacrifice.

Andrea

Was Alex on the bus or was he riding home with you?

Marcy Kestner

Alex was not on this bus. It was an American Fork bus. He is heading to a competition in UT on the 20th. I am sure all will be fine, but I am nervous.

Post a Comment