CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tator's

Size does Matter! When it comes to a good Potato...
Last week a friend of mine asked if I was interested in a 50 lb. bag of ID potato's? Could I really use 50 lbs of potato's. I have a hard enough time using 5 lbs before they start to sprout. Well, I said, "Sure." How much? She said $8.00! "Really," I said. "OK! Great." 50 lbs of potato's for $8.00! wow.

I picked up the bag from her house. She said all these potato's are the "throw aways." They are to large to be sold. I can't understand this. They are perfect for baking, frying, boiling...etc. And even some locals can them..huh???

I took my treasure home and feeling proud to know that I scored a major good deal on taters. Giving tribute to the last warm day for many months to come I thought making a potato salad would be perfect for dinner. Now, let me tell ya...there is a difference in fresh from the field potato's & store bought "sitting on the shelf stale potato's." Peeling these farm fresh potato's was as easy as eating ice cream. Dicing them was like cutting butter. Here's what I didn't realize....farm fresh potato's need less boiling time. They are already SO full of water that I almost made mashed potato salad. The husband & kids were happy with it ..even though it was more like potato salad soup. David secretly said "This is better then my mom's." What a compliment!
In short, I have fallen in love with my potato's like an Oregonian would fall in love with their strawberries and like a Washingtonian loves their apples. I guess this makes me a true Idahoan. YIKES!

4 comments:

Bethany

Go Marcy! You Spudder! I have never made potato salad, nor potato salad soup. ;) I bet yours is divine. It's times like this that make ya glad that no one in your house is on Atkins, huh?

Andrea

I know what you mean. I have grown my own potatoes several times and they taste much better. Mine however never get that size. I would love to have them that big. YUM

Heidi

What a compliment! better than Mom's! you rock! Mrs Idaho. I guess you have your own private Idaho now!

Dixon Devils

I feel the same way about those potatoes. Since I know you like em, Mom Dixon always sends us home with taters (precious) from her brother and our Uncle Dan's potato cellars. They are exactly what you described. . .fantastic. I'll share in the future!

Ashton grows some fantastic Yukon Golds and Reds too! The only thing I've heard concerning size is that Idaho potatoes are seed potatoes. Meaning they sell the majority of their potatoes to other farmers all over the world because the Idaho season is too short to produce anything else.

Perhaps the potatoes were too big to be a "true" seed potato, since they're bigger and don't have as many "eyes".

Post a Comment